Coffee and walnut are a match made in heaven, they make the tastiest cake by far and anyone who says otherwise is just lying! On a serious note, there's just something about a sweet coffee sponge with crunchy walnuts and a creamy frosting that I just can't get enough of. As always, my banana bread is oil and refined sugar free so you can enjoy the decadence of a coffee and walnut cake under the guise of a healthy snack, what more could you want?
Buy these ingredients from our friends over at Jan de Vries. Experts when it comes to natural skincare and organic supplements, Jan de Vries offer a range of specialised high-quality food products, from gluten-free pasta to organic cacao powder.
1. Start by lining a loaf tin with baking paper and preheating your oven to 180 degrees oC. In a large bowl combine your self-raising and spelt flours with coconut sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
2. Add 75ml boiling water to your coffee to form an espresso.
3. In a separate bowl, mash your bananas until smooth then, add the coffee and cashew butter, stirring well until totally combined.
4. Now combine your wet and dry ingredients, stirring well to ensure that there are no rogue flour lumps! Finally, roughly chop your walnuts, add to the mixture then pour into your loaf tin. Place the loaf in the oven to bake for 35 minutes but cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent burning.
5. Once cooked, remove from the tin and allow to cool for around half an hour before icing. As the loaf cools, finely chop your walnuts and make your frosting by mixing your cashew butter, maple syrup and almond milk, stirring well until you've got a smooth, pouring consistency.
6. Once the loaf is cool, drizzle generously with icing and sprinkle with walnuts then you're ready to eat. I'd recommend popping the kettle on and serving with a mug of hot coffee because, hey, there's no such thing as too much coffee, right?!
I hope you give this delicious coffee and walnut banana loaf a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture at our Instagram so we can see :)
Ciara is an avid food and fitness blogger who loves to share fitness tips, cruelty-free lifestyle advice and an abundance of delicious and easy-to-make plant-based recipes on her blog Ciara's Corner. Since going vegan a few years ago, food has become her biggest passion in life.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!