This easy-to-make rice dish includes 3 of my favourite beans – pinto, black eye and kidney beans. Not just tasty, when combined, rice and beans are extremely nutritious and become a good source of ‘complete’ protein. I love to eat this with homemade guacamole for a tasty Mexican feast.
A Mexican side dish which is packed with healthy fats, potassium and fibre, this creamy and tangy homemade guacamole is quick, easy and fun to make.
1. Gently heat up a little olive oil in a large pan and add the chopped onion, garlic and mixed peppers. Fry gently for about 3 minutes.
2. Add in the brown rice along with the spices. Thoroughly coat the rice with the oil and leave to cook for a few minutes.
3. Add in the tomato puree, mix thoroughly and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
4. Pour in your vegetable stock, beans and sweetcorn. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer with the lid on for around 25-30 minutes.
5. Make sure the rice doesn't stick to the pan, stirring occasionally and adding extra stock/water if needed.
6. When the rice has fully cooked, turn off the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes whilst you prepare your dish!
7. Serve your beanie rice with some fresh jalapenos, a taco shell, nachos and homemade guacamole.
If you give this mexican beanie rice a try, please let us know! Leave a comment below, rate it above, share it! Take a picture of it and tag it #AvogelRecipes on Pinterest we'd love to see it.
When combined with whole grains such as rice, beans become a good source of protein, also as a ‘complete protein’, which is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine essential amino acids necessary for our dietary needs. Rich in fibre, beans such as kidney beans can also help to lower cholesterol, improve digestive health and stabilise blood sugar, whilst also providing a good source of slow release energy.
Hello I am Holly Jade & I am the owner of The Little Blog of Vegan. I post yummy recipes, advice & beauty tips daily. Everything I talk about is vegan & cruelty-free. I love to be as healthy as possible, but I do love to make the odd sweet treat recipe. I also love to post my own adorable & pastel daily photos on Instagram, why not check it out & come on the journey with me :)
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!