Sweet and spicy, the red chilli brings out all the flavours of the naturally sweet red onion in this popular Indian condiment. Super easy and quick to make, it can be stored in a container or glass jar for a week in the fridge and enjoyed with some free-from crackers and cheese or as a side dish.
1. Heat the oil in a large wok.
2. Once the oil is hot, add in the onions, chilli, pepper, salt and chilli flakes. Cook for 10 minutes or until golden, making sure to keep the ingredients moving using a wooden spoon!
3. After 10-15 minutes, add in the garlic & sugar and carry on cooking for a further 5 minutes.
4. Pour in the vinegar and bring to the boil. The onions & chilli will soak up the leftover oils & vinegar.
5. Once all cooked, turn off the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
6. Place your delicious chutney into a serving bowl/dish/jar and enjoy!
I hope you give this delicious onion and red chilli chutney a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Packed with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory effects, onions are little powerhouses! They can help lower blood sugar levels, improve bone health and support immune function. Red and yellow onions contain more antioxidants than white ones. Onions are also rich in natural sugar and crammed full of vitamins (A, B6, C & E) and minerals (potassium, iron & fibre), as well as flavour.
Hello I am Holly Jade & I am the owner of The Little Blog of Vegan. I post yummy recipes, advice & beauty tips daily. Everything I talk about is vegan & cruelty-free. I love to be as healthy as possible, but I do love to make the odd sweet treat recipe. I also love to post my own adorable & pastel daily photos on Instagram, why not check it out & come on the journey with me :)
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!