Usually packed full of fat and sugar, crumble may not spring to mind as a healthy dessert, but this recipe puts a nutritious twist on an old favourite!
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
2. With a sharp knife, halve the plums and place in a saucepan with the crystallised ginger, maple syrup and one tablespoon of water. Leave the stones in the plums as they are easier to remove after cooking. Simmer over a gentle heat until the plums are soft.
3. Meanwhile, make the crumble topping by rubbing the butter into the flour and oats in a large bowl until fully mixed and crumbly.
4. When the plums are cooked, allow to cool a little before removing the stones and placing in an ovenproof dish.
5. Spread the crumble mixture on top and bake for about 20 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
6. Serve with Greek yoghurt or good quality vanilla ice cream for a wee touch of decadence. For a vegan or dairy-free alternative serve with a soya yoghurt or Banana & Pistachio 'Nice' Cream.
I hope you give this delicious plum & ginger crumble a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Plums are naturally sweet, juicy and bursting with health-boosting properties. They can help maintain heart health thanks to their antioxidant and potassium content, whilst their low glycaemic index (GI) can help to control blood sugar levels. Both plums and prunes (dried plums) are also well known for their digestive health benefits.
Author of The Vital Nutrition Cookbook, good food has been a lifelong passion for Jane McClenaghan. As a Nutritional Therapist for over fifteen years, Jane has helped thousands of people make easy, manageable changes to their diets for the good of their health.
Passionate about the powerful effects that eating good quality, fresh, local food has on our mind, body and soul, Jane’s recipes are designed to be quick and easy so you can rustle up something nutritious at any time of the day.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!