The tomatoes and lentils make this a filling and nourishing soup, whilst the chilli gives this easy-to-prepare soup a nice little flavoursome kick! Rich in dietary fibre, the lentils also provide a good source of protein, which will help you feel fuller for longer.
1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy based pan and cook the onion until translucent.
2. Add the garlic, celery, bay leaves and chilli and cook until the onions and celery have softened.
3. Add the lentils to the pan, with the tinned tomatoes, stock and tomato puree.
4. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently until the lentils are cooked - about 20 minutes.
5. Season well.
6. Blitz in your blender until smooth.
I hope you give this delicious spicy tomato & red lentil soup a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
They may be small in size, but lentils are mighty when it comes to their nutritional value! Rich in fibre and protein, lentils are a healthy meat substitute, making them an ideal ingredient for many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Lentils are also packed with folate, iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium and have been linked to many health benefits including improved digestion and heart health.
Author of The Vital Nutrition Cookbook, good food has been a lifelong passion for Jane McClenaghan. As a Nutritional Therapist for over fifteen years, Jane has helped thousands of people make easy, manageable changes to their diets for the good of their health.
Passionate about the powerful effects that eating good quality, fresh, local food has on our mind, body and soul, Jane’s recipes are designed to be quick and easy so you can rustle up something nutritious at any time of the day.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!