Flaky golden puff pastry, topped with roasted asparagus, spring onion and dairy free cream cheese. For fellow people who also reside within the UK, I used the free from soft cheese that ASDA sells for this recipe. It’s delicious, and at only £2 it’s pretty cheap too.
Buy these ingredients from our friends over at Jan de Vries. Experts when it comes to natural skincare and organic supplements, Jan de Vries offer a range of specialised high-quality food products, from gluten-free pasta to organic cacao powder.
1. The puff pastry I used was by Jus Rol, they clearly mark their products as suitable for vegans. You could alternatively make your own. Allow your pastry to come to room temperature before attempting to unroll it. If you’re making your own, roll out your pastry into a rectangle measuring 35cm x 23cm. Cut into four equal sized rectangles.
2. Next mix together the soft cheese, herbs and spring onion into a small bowl. Divide the mixture into four, and spread evenly on each piece of pastry, avoiding the edges.
3. Lay the asparagus tips onto the soft cheese mixture, lightly press them down a little. Using a sharp knife, gently score a line around the asparagus, this will encourage the edges of the pastry to puff up
4. Dip your finger tip into the non-dairy milk, then lightly brush the edges of the pastry, this will ensure the pastry goes golden brown when baking.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC/350ºF, bake the tarts for 12-15 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
6. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes before serve.
I hope you give these delicious spring vegetable tarts a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Instagram so we can see :)
With its high fibre and water content, asparagus is a good food for improving digestive support, helping to maintain a healthy digestive tract and prevent constipation.
Bethany is a vegan food blogger from Kent. She is passionate about creating simple plant-based recipes, suitable for vegans. She updates her blog Bethany’s Vegan Kitchen every week with new tasty and easy-to-make recipes.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!