To reduce cholesterol:
1. Cut high sugar foods and refined carbohydrates out of our diet, to stop them being converted into cholesterol.
2. Reduce saturated fats and trans fats in our diets, to reduce the production of cholesterol and triglycerides.
3. Avoid coffee and alcohol, to improve liver function.
4. Use extra virgin olive oil in cooking.
5. Increase consumption of beans, oats, green leafy vegetables, apples, oranges, garlic, onions, buckwheat, grapes, leeks, cabbage, bananas, pineapple and ginger.
6. Eat oily fish – herring, sardines, pilchards, mackerel and salmon.
7. If you are using the Pill or HRT, talk to your doctor about alternatives.
8. Stop smoking.
9. Increase exercise levels.
10. Tackle stress levels, as stress can contribute to the production of cholesterol.
Cynara is a tincture of globe artichoke, which has been found to inhibit the manufacture of cholesterol, whilst encouraging its breakdown and reducing its absorption in the gut.
Cynara also increases bile production and its movement into the intestines, thereby improving the way dietary fats are metabolised. Take 20 drops in a little water or juice, 2-3 times daily.