I have started to incorporate festive flavours and spices into my baking, and decided to make some mouth-watering baked cinnamon doughnuts. Although these delicious doughnuts contain sugar, they are considerably lower in sugar than your average doughnut! I opted to make half with a coffee glaze & half with a vanilla glaze. I am a huge coffee fan as you all know, from my range of coffee recipes! Coffee and cinnamon is known to go well together. Cinnamon and vanilla is a classic pairing!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees and grease your doughnut tins.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together 2 cups self raising flour, 1 and 1/4 cups fine caster sugar, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp baking powder.
3. In a small saucepan over a low heat, melt the margarine until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan egg, melted margarine, 1 1/4 cup soya milk and 2 tsp vanilla extract until smooth.
5. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until fully combined.
6. Add the doughnut mixture into a piping bag, fitted with a round tip nozzle and pipe into the tins, until 3/4 full.
7. Pop the trays into the pre-heated oven and allow to bake for 15-18 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean.
8. Place the doughnuts onto a cooling rack and cool fully before glazing!
1. In a mixing bowl, combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 1/2 tbsp brewed coffee and espresso powder until smooth and shiny! For the vanilla glaze mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp unsweetened soya milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Pop into the fridge to set for 5 minutes.
2. Dip the doughnuts into the glaze and place back onto a cooling rack. This is the time you can decorate your doughnuts with nuts, coconut curls, coffee beans, cacao nibs, coffee powder...anything you fancy!
3. Pop the tray in to the fridge for 5 minutes, to allow the glaze to set. Store is a sealed container to keep fresh & delicious!
I hope you give these delicious cinnamon doughnuts a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Cinnamon is a spice that is frequently used to flavour sweet dishes. Providing a rich source of antioxidants, cinnamon also possesses anti-inflammatory properties and is believed to help balance blood sugar levels and cholesterol.
Hello I am Holly Jade & I am the owner of The Little Blog of Vegan. I post yummy recipes, advice & beauty tips daily. Everything I talk about is vegan & cruelty-free. I love to be as healthy as possible, but I do love to make the odd sweet treat recipe. I also love to post my own adorable & pastel daily photos on Instagram, why not check it out & come on the journey with me :)
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!