Packed with oats and seeds which provide an energising boost, with dried fruit and maple syrup for sweetness without being loaded with sugar, these lovely, easy-to-make, bite-sized flapjacks are a great little afternoon treat. Enjoy them with your favourite cuppa!
Pure oats are naturally gluten free. However, they are often contaminated with wheat. If you are sensitive to gluten it is best to check that the oats you are buying are certified as ‘pure’ or ‘gluten free’.
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Place the cranberries and dates in a small saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Simmer gently until the fruit has softened and the water has soaked into the fruit, adding a little more water if you need to.
3. In another pan, melt the coconut butter, butter and maple syrup together over a low heat.
4. Mix the oats, coconut and seeds together in a large bowl, make a well in the middle and pour in the melted syrup and butter mixture. Stir in the softened dried fruit and mix well.
5. Tip the mixture onto a lined baking tray, spread it out evenly and press down firmly with the back of a metal spoon or palette knife.
6. Bake for about 25-35 minutes until golden brown.
7. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Once cooled, store in an airtight container.
I hope you give these delicious cranberry and coconut flapjacks a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Oats are among the world’s healthiest grains. They are renowned for being an excellent source of slow release energy, stabilising blood sugar and helping to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Packed with goodness, they have been linked to numerous health benefits including helping to lower cholesterol, improve digestion and boost the immune function.
Author of The Vital Nutrition Cookbook, good food has been a lifelong passion for Jane McClenaghan. As a Nutritional Therapist for over fifteen years, Jane has helped thousands of people make easy, manageable changes to their diets for the good of their health.
Passionate about the powerful effects that eating good quality, fresh, local food has on our mind, body and soul, Jane’s recipes are designed to be quick and easy so you can rustle up something nutritious at any time of the day.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!