If you feel tired, lethargic and in need of an energy boost, this is the perfect dish. It’s incredibly filling because of the high fibre content and is jam-packed with long-lasting energy givers.
Some pestos contain parmesan so to make this recipe vegan-friendly use vegan pesto, which can be found in the free-from aisle in most supermarkets, as well as local health food shops
1. Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan, then reduce the heat and add the asparagus tips, carrots, peas and broad (fava) beans and simmer for 4–5 minutes, or until tender.
2. Remove the vegetables with a draining spoon and set aside. Keep the stock simmering over a gentle heat.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan and add the leeks. Stir-fry for 2 minutes on a medium heat, or until they are bright green, then stir in the rice.
4. Add 2–3 tablespoons of the hot stock and cook gently, stirring until the liquid is absorbed. Continue adding the stock, a little at a time, until the mixture is soupy and the grains of rice are tender but still have a slight bite. This will take about 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the pesto and season with black pepper to taste. Gently stir in the asparagus, carrots, peas and beans and cook for a few more minutes, or until the vegetables are heated through.
6. Serve in warmed dishes, sprinkled with the pine nuts.
I hope you give this lovely risotto recipe a try! If you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Asparagus is high in anti-inflammatory nutrients as well as antioxidant nutrients, including vitamin C, beta-carotene and vitamin E. It is also great for the digestive system due to its high fibre content and is a natural diuretic, which helps the body remove excess salt and fluid.
Sally Bee's story of survival and recovery from three heart attacks in a week at the age of 36 is nothing short of a miracle. Sally attributes much of her remarkable survival to her delicious and achievable healthy eating plan, which she and her whole family enjoy.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!