This is a quick, simple and protein-packed vegan soup that’s perfect for whipping up if you’re in a hurry or your stomach’s growling! Thanks to the inclusion of tasty, fresh veg and herbs, this soup doesn’t skimp on flavour either, plus it’s bursting with plenty of nourishing nutrients!
Buy these ingredients from our friends over at Jan de Vries. Experts when it comes to natural skincare and organic supplements, Jan de Vries offer a range of specialised high-quality food products, from gluten-free pasta to organic cacao powder.
1. Start by placing your lentils into a pot and covering with boiling water. Place the lentils on a medium heat and simmer until they have absorbed all of the water, then remove from the heat ready to add to the soup.
2. Whilst the lentils are cooking, dice your onion, bell peppers and courgette and add to a pot along with your crushed garlic clove. Sauté your vegetables for a couple of minutes along with a splash of water to prevent them sticking to the pot. After a couple of minutes, add your tomato puree and mushrooms to the pot and stir over a low heat for around a minute.
3. Now add your tinned tomatoes, herbs and nutritional yeast and leave to simmer for around 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Once your lentils are fully cooked, add them to the tomato base and allow them to absorb the flavours for a couple of minutes.
5. Finally, just before serving, add your fresh basil and spinach to the pot and stir to allow the spinach to wilt slightly. And there you have it, 15 minute rainbow lentil soup, perfect with some (okay, lots of) sourdough toast and a cup of tea!
I hope you give this Rainbow Lentil Soup a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AvogelRecipes on Instagram so we can see it :)
They may be small in size, but lentils are mighty when it comes to their nutritional value! Rich in fibre and protein, lentils are a healthy meat substitute, making them an ideal ingredient for many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Lentils are also packed with folate, iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium and have been linked to many health benefits including improved digestion and heart health.
Ciara is an avid food and fitness blogger who loves to share fitness tips, cruelty-free lifestyle advice and an abundance of delicious and easy-to-make plant-based recipes on her blog Ciara's Corner. Since going vegan a few years ago, food has become her biggest passion in life.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!