I don't know about you, but I find it just a little bit impossible to make it through a day at work without a couple of tasty treats to boost my energy and keep me motivated and, while some days I'd quite like to munch my way though a packet of digestive biscuits, I often fancy something that's both home made and healthy. Lately my snack of choice has been these chickpea cinnamon sugar cookies because, as bizarre as chickpea cookies may sound, cookies are the best accompaniment to a cuppa and these cookies are chewy, oaty and packed with protein so, really, what's not to love?!
1. Start by preheating your oven to 180oC and lining a baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. Drain and rinse your chickpeas then add to a food processor along with the tahini, almond butter, date syrup and almond milk and combine until your mixture comes together and resembles a cookie dough.
3. Transfer your dough to a bowl and add your oats, cinnamon and coconut sugar and combine well.
4. Once combined start transferring the dough to your baking tray, making each cookie with around 1 heaped tbsp of dough.
5. Lightly flatten each of your cookies and shape into a round cookie shape, then sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar and place in the oven to bake for 10 minutes.
6. After 10 minutes, turn each of the cookies over, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar again and place back in the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes.
7. Once fully golden, remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool slightly before digging in.
These cookies taste fab when eaten still warm from the oven with a cuppa, but if there are any cookies you don't eat immediately, simply store in an airtight container and you've got a high protein sweet treat on hand whenever you fancy a snack!
I hope you give these delicious cinnamon sugar chickpea cookies a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture at our Instagram so we can see :)
Chickpeas are a tasty vegetarian-friendly source of protein. They are also rich in dietary fibre, which helps to prevent digestive disorders and they can boost energy due to their high iron content.
Ciara is an avid food and fitness blogger who loves to share fitness tips, cruelty-free lifestyle advice and an abundance of delicious and easy-to-make plant-based recipes on her blog Ciara's Corner. Since going vegan a few years ago, food has become her biggest passion in life.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!