Leek and potato soup is a classic choice but here we’ve added a creamy, vegan-friendly twist to this old favourite. The perfect option for a hearty lunch on a cold day, this delicious soup is also brimming with plenty of immune-boosting nutrients like potassium and vitamin C!
1. Add the margarine into a large saucepan over a medium heat, once melted add the garlic and fry for a minute before adding in the leek, onion and potato.
2. Allow the vegetables to soften for about ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Don’t worry too much about things sticking to the bottom of the pan, the hot stock will deglaze and lift everything off, just make sure nothing is burning. Then add the stock and give it a good stir.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper, personally I just went with pepper as the stock is already quite salty. Cover with a lid and leave to simmer away for 20 minutes.
4. Once all the vegetables are cooked, use an immersion blender or food processor to blend the soup until it’s silky smooth. Return the soup to the heat and stir through the cream, give it a minute or two to heat through, then it’s ready to serve.
5. I chose to serve it simply with some fresh crusty bread, and topped it with a little more cream, and freshly cracked black pepper
I hope you give this creamy leek and potato soup a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Instagram so we can see :)
Potatoes are one of the best natural sources of potassium, which helps to promote good circulation. Additionally, rich in vitamin B6, potatoes are also thought to stabilise mood and are linked with good brain function.
Bethany is a vegan food blogger from Kent. She is passionate about creating simple plant-based recipes, suitable for vegans. She updates her blog Bethany’s Vegan Kitchen every week with new tasty and easy-to-make recipes.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!