Layers of potato in a creamy, parmeasan and spinach sauce. Topped with cheese and breadcrumbs, then baked to perfection. I have concluded that somehow, crack got into this dish. I have no other explanation for how hard it was to resist immediately eating the leftovers.
1. Firstly, preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan assisted/350ºF
2. Next, wilt the spinach. Place it in a sieve, and pour freshly boiled over it until it wilts. Allow to cool before squeezing out the excess water. Chop and set aside.
3. Parboil the potato slices for three or four minutes, you can do this while you make the sauce to cut down on time.
4. To make the sauce, melt the dairy-free margarine in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Once melted, add the flour and whisk for four minutes. Slowly add a little non-dairy milk at a time until you have a thick sauce.
5. Once the sauce has thickened, mix through the non-dairy parmesan cheese, mustard and parsley. Season with salt and plenty of cracked black pepper. Mix through the chopped spinach until well combined.
6. In an oven proof dish, spoon a little of the creamy spinach sauce, just enough to coat the bottom. Layer on the slices of potato and sauce, until you’ve run out of both. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
7. Remove the foil after 30 minutes, sprinkle over the cheese, then the breadcrumbs before returning to the oven.
Serve along with vegetables/meat-free sausages/chicken-less fillets, or a side salad if you want to keep things simple.
I hope you give this delicious creamy spinach potato bake a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture at our Instagram so we can see :)
Spinach is well known for its many health benefits. One benefit of this superfood is its ability to help ease muscle and joint pain and relax muscles due to its high magnesium content and anti-inflammatory properties.
Bethany is a vegan food blogger from Kent. She is passionate about creating simple plant-based recipes, suitable for vegans. She updates her blog Bethany’s Vegan Kitchen every week with new tasty and easy-to-make recipes.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!