December is here but, in my opinion, it’s not really the holidays until you get started on the festive snacks. That’s why today I’ve whipped up a batch of my favourite gingerbread cookies – crunchy, chewy and, most importantly of all, sweet, these are the perfect festive treat!
1. Start by preheating your oven to 180oC, then line a baking tray with some grease proof paper.
2. Combine your dairy free butter and sugar, mixing well until light and fluffy.
3. Once combined, stir your syrup and flax egg into the butter and sugar.
4. Next, sieve your flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into the mixture, stirring well until a dough has formed.
5.Turn your dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out into a relatively thin rectangle.
6. Using a star shaped cookie cutter, cut out your gingerbread biscuits, this mixture will yield around 24 star cookies.
7. Place the cookies in the oven for around 12 minutes, they should be golden brown and still slightly soft as they'll firm as they cool.
8. Whilst the cookies bake, make your icing sugar drizzle by mixing the icing sugar with 2 tbsps of water.
9. Once the cookies have baked, move to a cooling rack and allow to cool before drizzling with icing. Then you're ready to enjoy the festivities, with some gingerbread in one hand and a cuppa in the other!
I hope you give these delicious gingerbread stars a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AvogelRecipes on Instagram so we can see it :)
Ginger has been used for centuries in traditional medicine although today it is best known for adding flavour to vibrant dishes! Rich in anti-inflammatory properties, ginger can help to soothe the digestive tract, reducing symptoms such as nausea and other forms of irritation. It can also help to support the immune system, containing a decent amount of potassium and vitamin C!
Ciara is an avid food and fitness blogger who loves to share fitness tips, cruelty-free lifestyle advice and an abundance of delicious and easy-to-make plant-based recipes on her blog Ciara's Corner. Since going vegan a few years ago, food has become her biggest passion in life.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!