This is the ultimate winter comfort meal – hearty without the heavy feeling afterwards! Full of good-for-you veggies and lentils, which are particularly rich in dietary fibre, folate, iron and are the perfect meat-free protein source. This dish is so easy to whip up and enjoy – great for dinner parties with any vegetarian friends!
Buy these ingredients from our friends over at Jan de Vries. Experts when it comes to natural skincare and organic supplements, Jan de Vries offer a range of specialised high-quality food products, from gluten-free pasta to organic cacao powder.
1. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-heat and add the olive oil.
2. Add red onion and garlic to the pan and cook until translucent and softened.
3. Add the finely diced carrot and continue to cook until soft.
4. Add drained lentils and tomato sauce/passata to the pan and stir until combined. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes until ragu is fragrant, adding more liquid (sauce or hot water) if it seems too dry. Season generously with salt and pepper.
5. Meanwhile, cut the ends of the zucchini and create the zucchini noodles using a spiralizer. If you don’t have a spiralizer, cut them finely using a knife or push the zucchini along the top of a grater, in long strokes in order to create long, thin ribbons of zucchini.
6. Add zucchini noodles to the simmering ragu and cook for a further 5 minutes, until softened.
I hope you give this delicious and easy lentil ragu a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
They may be small in size, but lentils are mighty when it comes to their nutritional value! Rich in fibre and protein, lentils are a healthy meat substitute, making them an ideal ingredient for many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Lentils are also packed with folate, iron, magnesium, zinc and potassium and have been linked to many health benefits including improved digestion and heart health.
Jessica Sepel is a qualified nutritionist, health blogger and best selling health author from Australia. She is fascinated by the health and wellness world and loves to make simple and nutritious recipes.
Her 8-week online plan ‘The JSHealth Program’ can help change your mind and body, by teaching you how to find a balanced approach to life, food and weight.
You can also follow her on Facebook and Instagram for daily food inspiration and health mantras.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!