Perfect for lunch or dinner, this filling and warming soup is very easy to make, and is tasty, inexpensive and healthy too. The chickpeas are rich in protein, fibre, iron and the B vitamins. They make an excellent substitute for red meat.
1. Soak the chickpeas in water overnight, then drain.
2. The next day, boil the chickpeas in 1 litre of water in a large pot for 45 minutes.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then add the onion, garlic, tomato and tomato puree and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add this onion mix and red pepper into the chickpeas, bring to the boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
5. Season with Herbamare.
6. Serve, garnishing with fresh parsley.
I hope you give this hearty soup a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Hetty's passion is to inspire and inform people on health, nutrition and lifestyle.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!