The seeds of horse chestnut have been used for ages to treat varicose veins. Horse chestnut seeds have anti-inflammatory and anti-swelling properties that can help reduce the appearance of varicose veins.
You could try the herbal remedy Venaforce®, which contains horse chestnut seeds and is traditionally used for the symptoms of Varicose Veins such as aching painful legs, swollen ankles, leg cramps and tired, heavy legs.
Tips to help reduce varicose veins:
• Veins need daily movement: walking, cycling or swimming are all good choices, or even something gentler such as yoga
• Make sure you breathe deeply and get enough oxygen into the bloodstream
• Give your legs a cold shower to exercise the blood vessels
• Wear loose clothing and comfortable shoes, especially when on your feet for long periods
• Avoid fierce heat in hot baths, saunas and long periods of sunbathing
• Drink plenty of plain water
Some simple exercises can also help to keep blood vessels fit and elastic. Here are some suggestions but do not overstrain yourself!
Vein exercise 1: Stand up straight. Stand on tiptoes and then rest feet back on ground. Repeat 10 times.
Vein exercise 2: Simulate a stork treading water but on dry land. First lift your right leg at a right angle to your body, toes pointing downwards. Bring your heel smartly down onto the floor and change to the left foot. Repeat 1 to 20 times.
Vein exercise 3: Sit on a chair. Put the soles of both feet on the floor, hands on thighs or by your sides. Either individually or together, place feet on point of toes in order to work the calves.
Vein exercise 4: Lie on your back on the floor with your hands under your buttocks or out to the sides. Lift one leg up to the vertical, keeping it straight. Hold it for as long as you can, then lower and repeat with the other leg. After doing any of these or other exercises involving the large muscles of the lower body, following a long walk or if you have been standing for a long period of time, you should consider elevating your legs 15 to 30cm (6” to 12”) above your heart for a few minutes.