Very quick and easy to make, these oven-baked bites can be enjoyed as a starter, with a main or as a healthy snack. They make the perfect filling for Moroccan style wraps, with some delicious homemade cooling dip and salsa. Packed with protein, these delicious little bites are also dairy and gluten free.
To replace 1 egg use 2 tsp of chia seeds in 6 tsp of water. Pop into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to thicken & jellify.
1. To make bites. Heat the oil in a large wok and add in the finely chopped onion. Gently fry for a few minutes until turning golden, then add the chilli, chilli flakes & garlic and cook for a further few minutes. Then add the tomato until soft, then remove from the heat and place aside.
2. Fully wash the chickpeas and whizz up in a food processor or blender( you can even use a potato masher/fork), until partly blended, then place into a large mixing bowl along with the onion mixture, chia egg (or your chosen egg substitute, or egg if non-vegan), cooked rice, spinach, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika and seasoning. Combine until everything comes together for moulding.
3. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper, and mould the mixture into bite sized balls.
4. Pop the tray into the oven for 30 minutes (making sure to check them/turn them over half way through to ensure a full/even cook).
5. When they are golden brown/cooked, they are ready to be taken out of the oven.
6. To make mint & lemon dip. Place the yoghurt into a bowl and add in the finely chopped mint, crushed garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest and seasoning. Mix well and pour into a serving bowl.
7. Serve immediately & enjoy!
I hope you give these delicious chickpea rice bites with cool mint & lemon dip a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Pinterest so we can see :)
Chickpeas are a tasty vegetarian-friendly source of protein. They are also rich in dietary fibre, which helps to prevent digestive disorders and they can boost energy due to their high iron content.
Hello I am Holly Jade & I am the owner of The Little Blog of Vegan. I post yummy recipes, advice & beauty tips daily. Everything I talk about is vegan & cruelty-free. I love to be as healthy as possible, but I do love to make the odd sweet treat recipe. I also love to post my own adorable & pastel daily photos on Instagram, why not check it out & come on the journey with me :)
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!