This is my classic seitan & five bean chilli recipe, perfect for batch cooking as leftovers freeze very well. You could have this with rice, as a baked potato topping, inside tortillas, tacos or as a nacho topping, along with melted vegan cheese. This will make quite a considerable amount, so you can halve or quarter the recipe if you prefer.
1. Add the oil to a large saucepan over a medium heat, pop in the garlic and cook for one minute. Then add the onion and peppers, cover with a lid and leave to cook for 10 minutes.
2. Next add the tomato puree, the herb and spice mix, mince and flour. Give it a really good mix to really bring everything together. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding the tomatoes, stir well to fully combine.
3. Add the chocolate and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and allow to cook for an hour, stirring every ten minutes or so. If it becomes too thick, just stir through a splash of water.
4. After an hour, give everything a good stir and add the bean mixture. Give it another good mix then return the lid and cook for another 20 minutes.
5. After 20 minutes have elapsed it’s all done. How you serve will be dependant upon what you’re serving it with. At this stage you can use the chilli in tacos, burritos, enchiladas etc.
I hope you give this delicious vegan chilli a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AVogelRecipes on Instagram so we can see :)
When combined with whole grains such as rice, beans become a good source of protein, also as a ‘complete protein’, which is a source of protein that contains an adequate proportion of all nine essential amino acids necessary for our dietary needs. Rich in fibre, beans such as kidney beans can also help to lower cholesterol, improve digestive health and stabilise blood sugar, whilst also providing a good source of slow release energy.
Bethany is a vegan food blogger from Kent. She is passionate about creating simple plant-based recipes, suitable for vegans. She updates her blog Bethany’s Vegan Kitchen every week with new tasty and easy-to-make recipes.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!