Coconut ice is a classic British confection usually made from desiccated coconut, condensed milk and sugar; however, it’s really easy to veganise this by using coconut condensed milk! Sweet and creamy, it’s the perfect cold treat on a hot day - just remember to share!
1. Add the coconut and sugar into a large mixing bowl, fold together with a wooden spoon. Once combined add in the condensed milk.
2. Give the mixture a very thorough mix to fully combine everything, it will become very stiff, but keep working to mix it completely.
3. This next step is optional – add a few drops of red food colouring to half the mixture, dust your hands with icing sugar, and knead it through. I did this in the mixing bowl, you can also knead on a working surface (I would recommend dusting the surface with more icing sugar first).
4. Firmly press the mixture down, using your hands or the flat bottom of a glass (again dusting your hands/glass with icing sugar). If you also did two layers, add the second layer on top and flatten that down too.
5. Finally chill the mixture in the fridge for a minimum of three hours. Then use a sharp knife and slice into strips or cubes, whichever you prefer!
I hope you give this Vegan Coconut Ice a try! And if you do, be sure to tag the picture #AvogelRecipes on Instagram so we can see it :)
Coconut milk is naturally rich in a component called lauric acid. This component is an effective barrier against many viruses and infections, as it has anti-viral and anti-fungal properties. It has been found to help balance cholesterol in the bloodstream, by raising levels of good cholesterol and lowering levels of bad cholesterol.
Bethany is a vegan food blogger from Kent. She is passionate about creating simple plant-based recipes, suitable for vegans. She updates her blog Bethany’s Vegan Kitchen every week with new tasty and easy-to-make recipes.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!