I love veggie sushi and this recipe is extra delicious because it uses ‘rice’ made from cauliflower instead of traditional rice, which works wonderfully in sushi. For this hand roll I used marinated flat mushrooms and avocado, but you can add your favourite veg instead.
Buy these ingredients from our friends over at Jan de Vries. Experts when it comes to natural skincare and organic supplements, Jan de Vries offer a range of specialised high-quality food products, from gluten-free pasta to organic cacao powder.
1. Begin with the rice. Place the cauliflower florets into a food processor and pulse until you have fine, rice-like granules. It won’t take long!
2. Heat the oil in a small pan and add the ‘rice’. Mix to coat the 'rice' in the oil and cook for about 7–8 minutes until it softens slighty, then set aside.
3. Next, slice the mushroom into longs strips and place in a shallow bowl. Drizzle with some soy sauce, oil and balsamic vinegar and allow to sit for 5 minutes. In the meantime slice your avocado and set aside. Cook the mushroom in a pan over medium to high heat for a few minutes until soft.
4. Now it’s time to assemble! Make sure the rice stays slightly warm as this will help it stick to the nori better. Start by spreading a layer of rice over the nori sheet, leaving a space at the front and back, then lay the avocado and the mushroom slices on top.
5. Roll up and cut in half. Serve with ginger, wasabi and soy sauce. Give these a go, I’m sure you’ll be as pleasantly surprised as I was!
Sammy Riley is an Aussie living and studying in London who loves nothing more than making vegan cuisine which is easy and delicious.
Want more delicious recipes straight to your inbox?
Discover the story of Alfred Vogel
Nature is just about the best thing we’ve got!