What is hacking cough?
An outbreak of hacking cough hit the nation last winter but what exactly is a hacking cough and what causes it? Well, a hacking cough can be described as a dry, frequent and long-lasting cough. The problem often starts with cold and flu symptoms such as a runny nose and sore throat so this is something to watch out for.
What causes a hacking cough?
Recently, doctors have dropped the bombshell that antibiotics will be of no help when it comes to treating hacking cough as it seems the problem is caused by a virus, specifically adenovirus.
A dry cough can easily crop up after infection by a virus as damaged tissues are much more vulnerable. Also, residual inflammation in tissues of the respiratory tract can be hard to shift and this makes the area even more sensitive and prone to infection so it can be a hard cycle to break. So, what can be done to help?
What to do about your hacking cough
Well, the advice from most doctors is to rest up and stay warm however, changing your bed linen regularly, watching your diet (try to reduce refined sugars, processed fats and dairy until you’re over the infection) and drinking plenty of plain, still water will also help. In addition to this, organic herbal remedies may also be beneficial.
First, we need something to soothe and protect your throat, and fast! Our herbal Cough Spray is a top pick for the following reasons:
- It contains the herbs mullein and marshmallow which can help to bring about rapid relief from dry and tickly cough
- The unique ingredients help to soothe the affected area by creating a soft film over irritated or inflamed tissues
- The formula reduces irritation and provides a healing action which helps to decrease the likelihood of further recurrent infections.
Next, we really want to tackle the underlying problem. As we know, antibiotics aren’t up to the task so instead we need something with anti-viral properties. Say no more – hello Echinaforce! This could prove helpful for the following reasons:
- Echinaforce supports the immune system in order to help keep recurrent infections at bay
- Echinaforce is available in a handy tincture which is gentler on sensitive throats and is easily absorbed by the body too
- The Echinaforce also comes in the form of a Sore Throat Spray which soothes irritation in the back of the throat.
So, Echinaforce with its proven anti-viral activity, together with our soothing Cough Spray, could just be the solution for you.
Originally published 23 January 2017 (updated on 26 October 2018)